[Bell Historians] Kidderminster trebles

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Apr 30 21:42:12 BST 2003

In a message dated 30/04/03 17:47:57 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> Apparently they are going to lip them and convert their tuning to 'old
> style'.

To create an old style bell (i.e. sharp hum and flat prime) from a Simpson
bell which is already flat, would in my experience be very difficult. I
gather the hum is the hardest thing to raise. The two Simpson trebles for
Egloskerry, Cornwall (G&J 1928 & Taylor 1930's) were successfully raised
(less than 10 cents from memory) by Nigel Taylor in 2001, and remain Simpson
bells. Both lost some of their 'guts' in the process, but sound fine when all
four are rung together.

Matthew