[Bell Historians] bell shapes

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Dec 4 19:47:59 GMT 2003

---

It was kind of David Bryant to point out that Liverpool Cathedral and
St. Helens Carillon are by different founders. I should have made
that fact clear myself, having been associated with both towers more
than forty years ago.

It would be interesting if those 'in the know' could share their
information about profiles of heavy ringing bells and static chiming
bells by Whitechapel and Loughborough to see if my original thoughts
were correct or not.
Looking at my photographs of St.Helens bass bell and Exeter tenor, I
am still dubious that different founders is the answer to my query.
Whilst I have a photo of Liverpool Cath. tenor, there are no modern
Whitechapel static chimimg bells of similar weight with which to
compare it. One POSSIBLE comparison using heavy bells might be
between Southwark Cath. and Westminster Cath. There may be others of
which I am not aware. It might be that as the weights regress the
difference in profile, if there is one, diminishes.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...> wrote:
> > Could someone please explain to me why bells hung for ringing and
> > chiming bells having the same/nearly the same note, can be so
> > dramatically different in shape? I have in mind Liverpool
Cathedral's
> > tenor at St. Helens Carillon bass bell. I assume that it may have
> > something to do with the dynamics in making a ringing bell easier
> > handle and clapper correctly.
>
> Surely the case you quote is because the bells are by different
founders,
> rather than because one is a ringing and one is a chiming bell.
Obviously,
> the front end of a ring is heavier than that of a chime to make the
trebles
> powerful enough, but I hadn't noticed any difference in profile in
the
> majoroty of cases. However, I believe Gilletts sometimes cast the
tenor of a
> chime rather long-waisted. Don't know why. The tenor at St
Wilfrid's in