[Bell Historians] bell shapes

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Fri Dec 5 04:33:55 GMT 2003

I concur with David Bryant's remarks about different bellfounders
having different profiles. From what I have seen in American bells,
European carillons and assorted photographs, most foundries develop a
profile which produces a sound that they like, and then stick to it.
This is a major part of what makes it possible to hear the difference
between carillons from different makers, for example. Accuracy of
tuning the principal partial tones is only part of the job; different
profiles will produce different relative strengths of those partial
tones as well as different rates of decay, all of which contribute to
the overall sound which we hear. Different profiles contribute to
those factors.

It's true that there's a lot more variation in profile between makers
who didn't tune their bells than their is between makers who do tune
their bells. I know of one American foundry which produced wildly
different shapes depending on the intended use of the bell--their
steamboat bells don't look at all like their church bells of the same
weight. But frequently I can identify the maker of a single church
bell by its silhouette in an open belfry or bell-cote.

There's less difference between makers of tuned bells because the
physical principles behind modern tuning require certain inside
proportions, and that in turn places some limits on the range of
outside profiles that can be used. Still, variations in height and
thickness can be used to compensate for the basic scaling with pitch
that is imposed by the laws of physics and vibration.

The reason that there is a difference between a ringing profile and a
chiming profile has very little to do with the purpose to which an
individual bell is to be put, and everything to do with where that
bell falls into the range of a particular instrument in which it will
be used. A bell which is to be the treble of a very deep-toned
("heavy") octave will be much heavier than a bell of the *same* pitch
which is to be the tenor of a higher-pitched ("light") octave.
Another bell of the same pitch which is to be used in a chime or
carillon will fall somewhere between those two ringing bells, because
it has to be part of a practical series that covers much more than an
octave. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to show this graphically
within the plain-text limitations of email, and I don't know of any
Webpages which do that. (I'd be delighted to be proven wrong!)

For these reasons, bellfounders who produce tuned change-ringing
bells, as the two surviving English founders and Eijsbouts do, must
have in hand a much wider range of profiles than those who only
produce single bells, small peals, or chimes and carillons.

By the way, it is over-compensation in a profile series which results
in the peculiar situation we sometimes find in non-homogeneous rings,
wherein the treble is actually heavier than the deeper-toned second
bell.

CSZ