Bell profiles

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Sun Dec 7 17:09:46 GMT 2003

This is all a little bit old ground, I think we've covered quite a
lot of it before. However, here's my two pennyworth:

Regarding the Whitechapel move to true harmonic, Alan Hughes told me
a while ago that during the twenties there was a lot of experimenting
in profiles going on, and that for commercial reasons the trials
tended to be shipped to customers, so the record of the experiments
still exists in bronze for those interested enough to investigate.

As regards Taylors, I think the transition, though there was a major
leap forwards in 1896, actually covered many decades. I wrote an RW
article on this a while ago, there is an extended version at
http://www.hibberts.co.uk/history1.htm. Since writing this account I
have taken many more recordings of bells but have not yet updated the
history to fill in more of the gaps. In brief:
* Grimthorpe probably got Taylors casting bells that in principle
could be tuned to have an octave hum, though obviously prior to the
mid 1890's they didn't actually attempt such tuning.
* in 1896-ish Taylors made two major innovations: they got a profile
that allowed sharper primes, especially in smaller bells; and they
found out how to tune hum, prime and nominal in octaves
* sometime between 1908 and 1913 they found out how to tune quints as
well. Whether this involved a change of profile I don't know
* sometime in the 20s or 30s they changed the profile of their bells
to give an equal tempered rather than a just tierce. Whether this was
the profile change in 1924 referred to by DJB I don't know, I'd have
to look at peals of suitable dates. The change required to alter the
tierce would most likely involve changing the shape of the external
bulge at the soundbow.

In this connection (Dave, I hope you don't mind me responding to your
private email in public) the retuning of York St. Olave in 1916 is of
interest. You said that these bells had been tuned externally in the
region of the soundbow, this would most likely affect the tuning of
the tierce relative to the nominal. Consulting Taylor's records of
course would give a definitive answer to why this was done.

The most remarkable thing for me about this business of different
profiles is the ability of the founders to produce bells of rather
different profiles and relative weights which are still harmonically
tunable. For anyone interested in the effect of various profiles on
tuning, André Lehr's papers give a good explanation: there is one at
http://www.hibberts.co.uk/lehr.htm which includes graphs of where to
take the metal off to affect differemt partials. Of these graphs,
Lehr says "With the help of these graphs the bell founder will easily
tune an untuned bell" which I think is a very optimistic comment
indeed! - though I know that Ben Kipling has incorporated these or
similar curves into a program predicting where to take the metal off
to achieve particular tuning results.

Bill H