[Bell Historians] Hunslet

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Dec 10 18:06:00 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for the full update on this, Michael. I appreciate all the issues - =
though I had forgotten about the rumoured plan to transfer them complete t=
o Boston Spa. Having remained silent (while feeling a little concerned abou=
t the possible loss of Hunslet's bells from their original home) earlier, I=
just felt the need to stick up for the old bells a bit! Your comment "The=
re are certainly far worse eights around than Hunslet" sums it up quite wel=
l really - they are an old ring, very much of their period, but not unaccep=
table, and you CAN get good / rewarding ringing on them

Thanks to DLC for putting the record straight on Halifax. For those who are=
interested, the last complete G&J ring from Croydon was Cranleigh (bell nu=
mbers 7329-7336 - dedicated on 24 December 1954). Goxhill (numbers 7366-737=
1) were cast at Loughborough but tuned at Croydon in 1955 - and 7371 is the=
last recorded number in the series (the later bells cast for Gilletts at L=
oughborough were, however, not numbered). Calgary came later, and are as de=
scribed by DLC.

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Childs=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Hunslet

Chris

I appreciate your personal fondness for Warner bells
of that period, and as David said, the intention was
never to scrap the ring, but to have them transferred.

The original intention was to create a new 8 from the
back for of the Highfield chime, and to use two of the
chiming bells and two new Taylor bells. This would
have certainly made a fine ring, and it is a shame
that the plan never came to fruition.=20

A 13cwt 8 would be far more suitable for the current
tower, which remains after the body of the church was
demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s. As a result of
this there is considerable movement, and having rung a
peal on the 7th in the sweltering heat this August I
would not exactly describe the bells as "easy"!

It is obvious that the locals also had a certain
fondness for the bells, as in 1939 the decided to have
four new chiming bells cast and the bells rehung in
the existing wooden frame, instead of having the
existing bells recast.

There are certainly far worse eights around than
Hunslet, and some of the peals I have rung there have
been very good, but I don't intend to ring one there
in August again!

Michael

--- Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford at t...> wrote: >
Michael Childs wrote "Hunslet, ... are ... not
> exactly rewarding!"
>=20
> I'd just like to enter a mild plea for slightly more
> sympathetic treatment of the existing eight at
> Hunslet (Warner 1863 - tenor 18-1-19 - retuned by
> Taylors in 1939). I have a slight fondness for
> Warner rings of this weight and period which I
> generally find more rewarding than Taylor or
> Whitechapel rings of the 1870s and 1880s. I rather
> enjoyed Hunslet when I rang in a peal there a few
> years back.=20
>=20
> I'm not under any illusions as to their tonal
> quality by modern standards, but I think they
> deserve better than being swept away for a lighter
> peal. Variety is important, and Hunslet are a
> better-than-average example of a mid-Victorian ring
> of their type - and by no means difficult to ring.=20=20
>=20
> A mild plea, as I say, for taking stock of the
> merits of the existing bells - and a challenge to
> the view that newer and lighter automatically equals
> better.
>=20
> CP=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
>=20=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
<P><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D3>Michael Childs </FONT></P>
<P><A href=3D"mailto:mtchilds at y..."><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" siz=
e=3D3>mtchilds at y...</FONT></A></P>

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save =A380 when you order online today. Hurry! Offe=
r ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be. http://uk.=
rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20