Ebbw Vale

Andrew Wilby andrew at w...
Thu Dec 11 22:40:28 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Jim Hedgecock: <I remember there being a device to count the number of time=
s that the=20
tenor had struck - but it was 1971 when I rang there.>

There is a story about the counter.....

Pat Cannon was serving in S Wales during WW2 when the bann was lifted.=20=20
He took a band to Ebbw Vale and rang a peal of Plain Bob Major I think, but=
in a very quick time... possible less than 3 hours.

Anyway the local tower captain took the view that Cannon had left a course =
or two out of this peal and had the counter made and fixed to the tenor so =
that he could check in future. He was probably right.

There is another story about another band that included Cannon ringing a pe=
al there in the 60's.=20
A certain Mr Thoday calculated that the peal would include his 1 millionth =
row in peal ringing and also that it would be a 65 roll-up.
I think we might have been a touch gullible but, never the less, George was=
a big man with the stats so we worked out what the counter would read at t=
he millionth row and set off.=20

As we struck the landmark, a certain Mr Bonham on the 6th, mouth wide open,=
staring at the counter all agog, missed his dodge an consequently wrecked =
the row.

Thoday was incandescent. He ranted on about how many peals he had carried s=
omeone through and how now he had wrecked the highlight of his career... or=
some such rubbish.

All very funny and did we laugh? You were allowed to enjoy yourself in pea=
ls in those days.

awrw