Liverpool tenor

nigeltaylor at k... nigeltaylor at k...
Tue Dec 16 11:49:00 GMT 2003

I am responding to Jim Hedgcock's message re. Liverpool tenor and
whether or not chime bells and ringing bells are of different
profiles.
Liverpool tenor was cast from our then standard 6-4" gauge, which had
been used on a number previous occasions. I do think however that if
the original gauge had been tall, then a shorter gauge would have
been made, so that the bell would not have to be "let-on" too much,
as this could have resulted in the bell being sluggish.
On previous occasions, the 6-4" finished at around 80cwts: this was
the original quoted weight in the spec. As cast, the weight was
generally 85 1/2cwts. Liverpool was cast rather thicker at 92-0-21,
and lost 10-0-10 in tuning.
The 11th also finished about 1 1/2cwts heavier than previous 5-7"'s.
Nigel Taylor