digital recordings and other things

jameshedgcock at h... jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Dec 17 21:44:59 GMT 2003

I was pleased to read somewhere that digital recordings of Star
Street and St. Dunstan in the East, London, amongst others, are to be
released for sale.
I also remember reading that certain bells' reputations get better
the further into history passes the last event of their ringing.
I was not aware that Star Street had been rung. I had always
understood that the ringing of selected bells/ combination of bells
caused excessive tower movement and that even those intrepid
individuals decided against ringing them. Christopher?
In 1969, as a new student in Canterbury, I took the opportunity to go
up to London, to collect a few towers on the University of London
Dinner Day. London held a fascination for me, and I was excessively
keen to ring at the London towers. Until that time I had only rung
at St. Martin in the Fields (badly), although Dennis Beresford was
very kind to me; and at Stepney. I had listened to Bow and St.
Clement Danes on a Lord Mayor's Show day and had been impressed with
the standard of ringing and quality of the bells.
To everyone's surprise, and delight St. Dunstan in the East were
opened for ringing. This was the occasion when I was introduced to
one of the niceties of London ringing. You don't catch hold of a
bell in some places until you are asked to do so. No such niceties
where I came from, where you could catch hold for anything you could
ring - and things you couldn't. I remember well David Cawley turfing
me off the tenor for Stedman Triples and Ranald being asked to ring
it. My indignity was restored somewhat when David kindly asked me to
ring in the next touch.
This is where, wearing my full body armour, flack jacket, and tin
hat, I poke my head above the parapet to state that the bells that
most impressed me that day were Cripplegate.
John Pladdys has a rather poor recording of St. Dunstan's, so I will
be pleased to have my memory refreshed. I just hope that technology
is not used to enhance what the sound actually was.
My other lasting memory of the day was scrounging a lift to St.
Dunstan's with George Bonham and his friend in a bubble car!

On another matter, I am pleased that Nigel Taylor was so kind as to
make comment about Liverpool Cathedral tenor. Thank you. I eagerly
await further comment about the initial question.