[Bell Historians] St Stephen, Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead.

David Cawley dave at d...
Sat Feb 1 00:01:34 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

St Mary Abbots, cast as an eight, tenor 21-cwt by Janaway 1772; the old tr=
eble,second and sixth recast by Warner in 1879, and a new treble and tenor =
added to make ten.
St George's Camberwell was a quite avoidable loss. Ringing was stopped bec=
ause of the failure of the church roof in the 60's; I saw them in 1966 in t=
he company of the great Jack Phillips, by which time the whole building wa=
s closed; the bells (which technically were still ringable, all the fitting=
s complete and on ball-bearings) were subsequently sold to repair the roof,=
not a finger being lifted I gather to save them. Later the church was gut=
ted by fire and remained a shell until just a few years ago when it was con=
verted to flats.=20=20
Bill Hughes told me that he really regretted having to break the bells up, =
but therre were no takers, the Diocese wanted its money and the Foundry had=
to balance its books. Again, there was no CCCBR Bell Rescue Fund at the t=
ime, let alone Keltek. Had the bells remained in the tower, they would hav=
e been destroyed in the fire, as the tower was gutted through.
DLC
----- Original Message -----=20