Use of bells in musical performances

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Sun Feb 9 11:46:56 GMT 2003

The March issue of the Classic FM magazine has (on p.90) an article on
bells. As would be expected, this is primarily concerned with their use in
musical performances. It does briefly mention change ringing, but not with
any great accuracy.

It does point out that the use of bells in musical performances is limited
because of the difficulties in transporting them. Don't I remember reading
somewhere that the tenor from St Magnus the Martyr in London was used in a
performance of the 1812 before being broken up?

At the other end of the musical spectrum, Taylor's cast a bell for the rock
group AC DC, weighing about a ton I believe. Does anyone know whether this
still exists?