[Bell Historians] Use of bells in musical performances

Peter Kirby peterkirby at c...
Mon Feb 10 08:39:58 GMT 2003

Mike Oldfield on his 'live' Tubular Bells tour had a bell on stage - for
those of you who may have a vinyl copy of the LP 'Mike Oldfield -
Exposed' you can see a picture of it inside the front cover with a clear
indication that it was cast by Whitechapel in 1979. From its size it
looks as if it would weigh around 1 to 2cwt.

Does anyone know what became of this particular bell?

Peter C Kirby

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:djb122 at y...]
Sent: 09 February 2003 11:47
To: Bell Historians
Subject: [Bell Historians] Use of bells in musical performances

The March issue of the Classic FM magazine has (on p.90) an article on
bells. As would be expected, this is primarily concerned with their use
in
musical performances. It does briefly mention change ringing, but not
with
any great accuracy.

It does point out that the use of bells in musical performances is
limited
because of the difficulties in transporting them. Don't I remember
reading
somewhere that the tenor from St Magnus the Martyr in London was used in
performance of the 1812 before being broken up?

At the other end of the musical spectrum, Taylor's cast a bell for the
rock
group AC DC, weighing about a ton I believe. Does anyone know whether
this
still exists?

David

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/