Tune or re-cast?

Izabelle Thompson i.a.thompson at d...
Mon Feb 17 11:31:29 GMT 2003

We are currently thinking about restoring the bells at Brancepeth and
are undecided as to what to do. After the fire, 3 need recasting, and
the remaining 5 have been shot-blasted and 2 of these have been 'tonally
dulled'. They are a Taylor's eight of 1889 and, according to local
ringers, never sounded very nice. We have asked Taylor's for quotes to
recast 3 bells and tune the rest (removing the canons), and also to
recast all 8. Taylor's are apparently not keen to recast them all as
the bells are pre-Simpson tuned, with some of the harmonics out, and
they wish to correct the harmonics and tune the new bells in a similar
way to produce an 'old sounding ring'. We're not sure what the best
thing to do is, but have heard that some other jobs where they have
tried to do something similar with tuning haven't produced very good
results (no examples were given). Do anyone have any advice on what we
should do?

Many Thanks,

Izabelle Thompson (DUSCR Master)