ball bearings

djb122uk <djb122@y...> djb122 at y...
Tue Feb 18 18:47:44 GMT 2003

Chris Povey wrote:

> The recent comments on ball bearings have been interesting. The
comment from David that 'his' ball bearings had open sides reminded me
of an inspection of a tower structure by a member of the Towers &
Belfries Committee in (I think) a Derbyshire tower. It was pointed out
to him that all the bells had been fitted with ball bearings. To his
quite reasonable surprise he found that ordinary ball bearing races
had been fitted onto the gudgeons and that the races themselves were
held onto the frame by a flat-section inverted 'U' straps. The balls
themselves were fully exposed. The local ringer there was very proud
of the conversion. This had clearly been done on a DIY basis and
clearly without the knowledge of the Diocesan authorities and a
faculty.

> If David's bearings are anything like this, he needs to be worried.

No, they're not like that - it wasn't a bodge job. The bearings are of
the type which Dave Cawley described, and have proper but open sided
housings. The gudgeons were replaced when they were fitted.

I have seen a local DIY job just such as you describe (I'd better not
say where). It was done about 50 years ago, and there have been no
problems with the bearings at all, although the fittings are generally
falling to bits now and there is a project to rehang them. All things
considered, it is surprising that the bells in question go as well as
they do!

Out of interest, when did Whitechapel move over to using double-row
bearings in SKF housings? I've got one of theirs from the 1930s, and
it is single row with an extra ring around the outside to achieve the
aligning properties.