[Bell Historians] Madrid

D Cawley dave at d...
Sat Jan 4 00:26:05 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I have a copy of RWMC's report following his visit in 1956.

See RW 14.12.56 pp 793/794 for his subsequent article.

In brief the two easter towers carry 19 bells all supplied by Warner in 188=
2, and all inscribed:
CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1882./(waist) + + / +/ + +
/ IGLESIA DE SAN FRANCISCO / 1882.

South East tower has ring of eight tenor 36.1/2", 8-cwt Ab, in a teak frame=
. Many of the ringing fittings were missing. Rung originally from a circu=
lar staircase with a void in the centre, with the bells only a few feet abo=
ve the ringers' heads.
Electrically operated chiming hammers fitted to four bells c1910.

North East tower has chime of eleven bells tenor 45", 15-cwt in F, hung de=
ad in a teak frame, originally chimed from a barrell, later by an electrica=
l machine and by the time of the visit only the tenor had a means of making=
a sound - a ball of iron tied by a rope to the staple. The rest had no me=
ans of sounding them.

All that was in 1956.

The Bell News, vol I, 1882, p.327 gives Warners' account of their installat=
ion and their bellhangers' efforts to teach some ringers, as well as to put=
the chime into use.

So, anyone reliable who is is going to Spain, this really needs updating !

DLC
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20