[Bell Historians] Obscure questions of the week

Mrthigby at a... Mrthigby at a...
Mon Jan 6 10:03:19 GMT 2003

In a message dated 06/01/2003 10:00:53 GMT Standard Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> 1) does anyone know when Whitechapel began using their current pattern
> cast iron headstocks, as opposed to the earlier type which were heavy
> and cumbersome. It was certainly before 1950, and I get them impression
> it was some time in the 40s. Can anyone provide a more accurate date?

I believe they were designed for Liverpool Cathedral, as was the current type
face used for inscriptions (Inscriptions by Gilbert-Scott).

Matthew