[Bell Historians] Obscure questions of the week

jimhedgcock <jameshedgcock@h...> jameshedgcock at h...
Mon Jan 6 10:52:24 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...>
wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
> I believe they were designed for Liverpool Cathedral, as was the
current
> type face used for inscriptions (Inscriptions by Gilbert-Scott).
>

> That was a fast response! When were the fittings actually made?
Weren't
> the bells cast shortly before the war but not installed until some
time
> afterwards?
>
> David

Great George is often referred to as being cast in 1940 Morris'
Bells of All Nations has a photo with the date 1937 quite clear in
the bell's waist. It was blessed on 17th June 1951 and sounded on
that occasion.
The tenor of the ring was cast in December 1938 with a diameter of
76". The casting time was 9 min. 45 sec. and it was removed from the
mould after a week. I believe the others were cast in 1939. The ring
was dedicated and rung on 17th. November 1951, but there had been
practices on them prior to dedication.