Wellington Heath

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Jan 6 19:21:01 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Can confirm this is a ringable one. The weight took some finding, but I ev=
entually stumbled across it in the Church Commissioners' file. The followi=
ng details are from my "Gillett's last tuning book" file - attempting to re=
plicate the one that went astray in the post. Alan Buswell has included mos=
t of "my" data in his database, and there's a very recent print-out with th=
e other Gillett tuning books in the archives at Croydon Library

WELLINGTON HEATH, Herefordshire Christ Church

Single bell by Gillett & Johnston 1953, hung for ringing in a mild steel fr=
ame.=20

Details in F. Sharpe Church Bells of Herefordshire Vol.5 pp.526-7.

Weight of 6-0-26 - unfinished only - etc. recorded in Wally Spraget's tunin=
g book (Whitechapel) p.36.=20

No notice in church or tower (Inspection by CJP 25 October 1992).

Church destroyed by fire in May 1944, rebuilt in 1951, and rededicated on 4=
April 1952. The bell number 6937 suggests that the date of the bell should=
be 1951 (cf Malmesbury) but the date on the bell is clearly 1953.

Church Commissioners' RNCB file states, "tower for one bell weighing 6 cwt =
and 4 lbs (Gillett & Johnston) - this information probably taken from a fra=
med notice which no longer exists.

So, the bell is:

1. Gillett & Johnston 1953 (6937) 31.625" 6-0-4 in C/B

=20

CP

----- Original Message -----=20