[Bell Historians] Re: Obscure questions of the week

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Fri Jan 10 15:12:43 GMT 2003

Unusual that if G&J had stopped using these box-section stocks by the early 1920s that two appear for their 36cwt tenors (1935 & 1936).

--- DJ Bryant wrote:
---------------------------------
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, George Dawson wrote:

> St Marys Nottingham tenor is on a box section h/s, the rest of the G&J
> bells are on the usual web section h/s's. Early G&J work used Taylor style
> box section h/s's throughout, eg Foxton Leics of 1911 & Mountsorrell also
> of 1911.

Carisbrooke and Newport Pagnell are other
examples which spring to mind. I've heard a story that Taylor's claimed
they had a copyright on the design and would sue Gilletts unless they
stopped using them, and Gilletts backed down and started using the
web-section stocks instead. Anyone know whether this is true?