[Bell Historians] Re: Obscure questions of the week

D Cawley dave at d...
Fri Jan 10 15:17:18 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Headstocks

1. I believe that Chris is correct about the large Cast Iron Headstock on B=
ow's 1738 tenor being from the 1907 rehang. The two large bells, tenor 4-t=
ons, which M&S cast for Newport, R. I., U.S.A., have similar stocks. I hav=
e a picture of Bow tenor c.1910, hanging in the tower, and the extraordinar=
y stock was on by then.

2. Whitechapel cast-iron headstocks.=20=20
(a) The earliest I have seen of the present-day type design is at Goodnesto=
ne-by-Adisham in Kent, where they added a treble to make six in 1937. Every=
thing else, excepting two old bells, is of 1911.

(b) AAH might have admired Warners' designs - but which ones ? The picture=
of a Warner bell and headstock on Church Green Books' most recent catalogu=
e - Pierhead old tenor of 1911 - is a "Taylor type" which both Warners' and=
Llewellins & James adapted for some of their jobs. In the long run I beli=
eve that Whitechapel made their own designs (just as they made their own ap=
proach to Simpson tuning).

3. Gillett & Johnston: I have a photograph of Rochester Cathedral bells on =
the ground after recasting & augmentation at Croydon in 1921; all of them h=
ave "Taylor-type" cast iron box section headstocks (which were retained whe=
n Taylor's subsequently provided a new frame). Front three are straight, re=
mainder curved.

DLC=20
----- Original Message -----=20