Elphick on Whitechapel

Bill Hibbert <bill@h...> bill at h...
Sun Jan 12 21:26:30 GMT 2003

In 'The Craft of the Bellfounder' (p. 103) while describing the
introduction of true-harmonic tuning, Elphick writes:

'Whitechapel remained aloof, working out in the early 1900s their own
system of five-tone tuning with a muted third, which was obtained by
so casting a bell that the third partial had hardly to be touched in
the tuning machine . . . the third is deliberately muted to enable
the strike note to be clearer.'

I have long puzzled over this sentence, it does not seem to describe
any Whitechapel bells of the period I have looked at. Can anyone shed
any light on it?

Bill H