L&J

Mike Chester <mike@m...> mike at m...
Mon Jan 13 12:58:01 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, DAVIESM at G... wrote:
> Its hard
> to believe that the same founders are responsible for Thonaby on
Tees (10cwt F#)

> Martin

I agree! Thornaby are not the best 8 I've ever rung! What's worse is
that it is the treble and tenor on a raised platform and we made the
wrong connection and started ringing them up 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1!

L&J got the job on the back of augmenting Stockton upon Tees from 6
to 10, by adding 4 tenors. Not a very satisfactory job, apparently.
The weight distribution would make interesting reading. The whole lot
were recast, with a slightly lighter tenor, ISTR, not long after the
end of WWII.

Mike