Temperament

Bill Hibbert <bill@h...> bill at h...
Mon Jan 13 23:29:40 GMT 2003

Jim Phillips:

> Have these other temperaments ever been used
> in bell tuning and how do they differ from Equal
> temperament?

Prior to the use of forks and modern tuning machines, it is quite
difficult to determine exactly what temperament the founder intended,
due to tuning inaccuracies and the prevalence of stretch. The Hemonys
used a Meantone in their carillons, in line with keyboard instruments
of their time. I have a suspicion (to be confirmed by analysis of
lots more bells) that Rudhalls tended towards a sort of Equal to make
it easy to supply bells from stock.

The most prevalent tuning used by Taylors and Whitechapel in the
first half of the 20th century was Just. Taylors moved to Equal in
the 20s / 30s (as they built their carillon business). Whitechapel
stayed with Just until the early sixties, until they too changed to
Equal. Recently, Whitechapel have moved away from Equal to various
meantone or Well temperaments, such as Kirnberger III.

My website has some information on temperaments, and links to more
voluminous resources. Nigel Taylor's website
http://www.kirnberger.fsnet.co.uk/ gives a comprehensive review of
the subject. Put very simply, in a peal of eight tuned in Equal the
second, third and sixth are tuned sharpest of all, in Just they are
tuned flattest of all, and the other temperaments lie somewhere in
between. This explanation ignores a lot of detail and may offend the
purists!

Last summer I ran an experiment (surely you must have read my
postings!) to find out if people can tell the difference between the
various tunings. The experts can, of course. Many people, perhaps the
majority, cannot hear any difference. Those who can, often prefer
Equal temperament. This is almost certainly because it is what we are
used to, i.e. a cultural issue, rather than due to any deep theory
about the tunings.

Bill H