L&J bells

Chris Povey cmpovey at 3...
Thu Jan 16 23:11:20 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Re: recent mails on L&J bells:

Castlemorton, Worcs, have three L&J bells in the ring of 6: the treble, 4th=
and tenor. All were cast in 1896, the 4th and the tenor being recastings a=
nd the treble to augment to 6. HMA undertook a tonal analysis on their insp=
ection to provide a price for a rehang of the ring on new fittings. This ha=
s now happened (but by another contractor). I am sure HMA will not mind if =
the analysis figures are repeated, as, because of retuning, these old notes=
are now history. The notes of all the bells are given, to show how L&J fit=
ted in with the others.

Nom =
Quint Tierce Fund Hum
Treble L&J 1896 +40 +40 =
-4 -129 -32
2 Rudhall 1695 -5 +2 =
-3 -157 +66
3 Rudhall 1695 +14 +15 =
+36 +79 -10=20=20
4 L&J 1896 +48 +154 =
+65 +147 +56
5 Rudhall 1795 +31 +108 =
+25 +5 +80
Tenor L&J 1896 Datum +62 =
+3 +83 +9

I'm not sure whether this shows that L&J were clever to fit in fairly consi=
stently with (in this case) the wayward Rudhall tuning, or that their tunin=
g was just as wayward and that it was just lucky that it seemed to reflect =
the Rudhall trend. I suspect it might have been the latter. It would be int=
eresting to know how L&J's tuning of that period compared with the other fo=
unders. I don't have the weights before and after tuning, but David Bagley =
has at least the retuned weights. I think there was a big reduction in weig=
ht.

HMA noted in their report that although the treble had no signs of tuning, =
the 4th and tenor exhibited light tuning on their soundbows, even though L&=
J prided themselves on being able to cast 'maiden' bells which did not requ=
ire any tuning. L&J probably retuned the 3rd and the 5th, as the 3rd was he=
avily lipped and the 5th lightly edged. They may have retuned the Rudhall b=
ells to fit in better with their bells.