[Bell Historians] Saltaire

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Jan 20 21:37:10 GMT 2003

> Once one of only two Congregational Churches with bells hung for full-
circle ringing, its original bells had become
> unringable and were removed during the Second World War. Sir Titus Salt,
1803-76, was a textiles industrialist
> who established a model village for workers at his mill. He lived himself
at Lightcliffe, near Halifax, and was responsible for
> six bells being installed there, these being the only other Congregational
example. Sadly, these weresold for scrap in 1938.

Is this correct Re. Lightcliffe? I was under the impression that 4&5 had
been sold for scrap at some point and the others retained as clock bells
until comparatively recently.