G & J headstocks-Using Tuning Forks

nigelsdtaylor <nigeltaylor@k...> nigeltaylor at k...
Fri Jan 24 20:26:56 GMT 2003

Regarding the box-section headstocks used by G & J until around 1924:
the patterns were made for bells up to 5'-0" diameter. Until the
1930's, the largest bell hung with this pattern stock i think was
Wolverhampton tenor (4'-8"). When the patterns for the coreless
stocks were made, they were made over a period of 2-3 years, and
initially, rather than mix the two types, they were only used when a
ring of bells suited the sizing of the existing new patterns. The
largest bell hung with the coreless type that I am aware of was Bow
11th (4'-8 1/2") in 1933. For St. Mary's Nottingham (1935) and St.
John's Croydon (1936), the tenor bells (both 4'-10") were hung with
the box-section headstocks. I can only surmise that they did this to
avoid the expense of making a new pattern that would be rarely used.
I have heard that Cyril Johnston "poached" Taylor's pattern designer,
hence the marked similarity between the Taylor and G & J box-section
patterns.

There has been some chat recently on the subject of tuning forks. Jim
Phillips seems to think that this is a lost art, and considers that
rings tuned with forks are somehow superior. Forks are simply a
measuring device as are band pass filters, stroboscopes, and computer
pitching programmes. Providing the forks are well maintained and are
accurate, it is possible to pitch partial tones to within 0.25-0.125
of 1 Hz. This is more accurate than some of the computer programmes
that default to 0.5 Hz. increments. I use forks routinely at
Whitechapel, usually for tuning old bells. The main advantage of
using the stroboscope is that a few strikes of a bell will give you
all the partial tones, and the computer programmes require a bell to
be sounded only once, whereas pitching a bell with forks will
typically take at least two minutes, particularly if a bell has
pronounced "beats". Like other pitching devices, forks can be used
for any key, in any pitch standard and in any temperament.