[Bell Historians] LLEWELLINS & JAMES, ETC

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Jan 27 15:49:10 GMT 2003

Matthew wrote:

> Shepton Mallet (1910) is a complete Taylor style installation by LL & J.

Presumably they're still on the plain bearings of 1910. I recall that the
'go' leaves quite a bit to be desired! I rang at Mere about three or four
years ago, and as I recall they had been put on ball bearings and the bell
installation looked very well cared for. Incidentally, it was in the ringing
chamber there that I first saw some bookends made from canons. I decided I
had to have some of these, so obtained a couple of canons which had been
removed from a bell and got my Dad to make bookends out of them. Their
weight ensures that books won't move them, but I think it could hurt if
anyone dropped them on their foot!