Newnham on Severn

andrewmbull <a.bull@s...> a.bull at s...
Mon Jan 27 16:05:11 GMT 2003

My thanks to Chris Dalton for adding the final pieces of the Newnham
puzzle - and also to CJP; I now have the full story without having to
part with £30 (plus VAT). I suspect that the 10 cwt octave formed in
1889 were of a more appropriate size for the tower than the current
ring which replaced them.

It is interesting to note from the Felstead peal records that no less
than 9 peals were rung on the bells during their short life, the
final one only a few months before they were removed.

Andrew Bull

Finally Newnham-on-Severn, Glos. The story of what happened in 1889
was reported in Bell News (pp. 103 and 339) and Church Bells (7th
June). It was Warners who recast the 4th of 6 which was cracked,
added a treble and tenor, and installed a new iron frame and
fittings. The other 5 of the existing 6 bells were retained at that
time. However, everything was swept away five and a half years later,
as already noted, when Mears crammed the present much heavier ring of
8 into this rather slender tower.