[Bell Historians] Using tuning forks.

jimhedgcock <jameshedgcock@h...> jameshedgcock at h...
Tue Jan 28 19:05:16 GMT 2003

When I was living in Kent I often heard it said that Taylors
considered that All Saints Maidstone were the best ten that they had
ever produced. Whilst preferences differ from ringer to ringer,
there are some that would not agree with that statement. Personally
I prefer Abergavenny and Lichfield; the former for tone and the
latter for all round ringing enjoyment. It may be that the tower
and/or the size of the bell chamber at Maidstone may preclude the
bells enjoying the reputation that they may deserve.
In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Aspland" <aaspland at y...>
wrote:

> But how often does either foundry get chance to cast a heavy octave
for
> a tower with such good acoustics as Chewton Mendip...
>
> Not often but I think Town Church on Guernsey are really very
good. Anyway
> some Somerset ringers are quoted recently as saying that Chewton
Mendip are