Using tuning forks.

Mike Chester <mike@m...> mike at m...
Wed Jan 29 16:35:56 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Simon Farrar <simon at m...>
wrote:
> I'm currently doing my own research into the best tens. I took a
peal band
> to Loughborough Parish last year, and have got both Abergavenny and
Inverary
> for peals this year. :-)

Inverary, IMHO, show the importance of the tower and the speed of
ringing to the perceived quality of a ring. Inverary is a stone
clad, concrete tower, (I think!), and was quite "echoey" inside when
I rang there on 3 separate occasions in the 80s.

Though never anything other than a good ring, I felt that they were
better rung slowly, approaching 4hrs peal speed, as they became more
distinct at this speed. My perception was that rung a little quicker
than this the back bells had sounded again before the overtones of
the previous change had died away. This led to a slightly mushy sound.

Anyway, researching the best 10s is easy. Researching the worst 10s
needs much more dedication!
;-)

Mike