[Bell Historians] Re: New topic (soundweld)

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Jul 9 19:28:12 BST 2003

> According to my records Preston 1&2 were M&S 1934 and the back eight
> 1814. I would hesitate to call the back eight modern Mears.
> From memory they were a pretty dismal lot, as are a good many more!!!!

The tower website says

This ring dated back to 1814, when eight bells were cast at the Whitechapel Bellfoundry in London, and
first rung to celebrate the victory of the battle of Waterloo. A century later, the bells needed considerable attention, and
after restoration work, the ring was augmented to ten bells with the addition of two new trebles. At the same time the
old timber bellframe was replaced by a new, metal one.

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.