[Bell Historians] Re: New topic (soundweld)

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Jul 9 23:41:02 BST 2003

---
According to Felstead the first ten bell peal at Preston was in 1935.
There were many rung before this. The implication on the tower site
that they were ten in 1914 is, therefore, I would suggest, incorrect.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...> wrote:

> > According to my records Preston 1&2 were M&S 1934 and the back
eight
> > 1814. I would hesitate to call the back eight modern Mears.
> > From memory they were a pretty dismal lot, as are a good many
more!!!!

> The tower website says
>
> This ring dated back to 1814, when eight bells were cast at the
Whitechapel Bellfoundry in London, and
> first rung to celebrate the victory of the battle of Waterloo. A
century later, the bells needed considerable attention, and
> after restoration work, the ring was augmented to ten bells with
the addition of two new trebles. At the same time the

____
> Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/
>
> Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards
for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.