Succession

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Jul 24 23:03:36 BST 2003

I wonder if subscribers could clarify something that has puzzled me
for some time?
On page 710 of this week's RW there is a quarter peal at Woburn. I
think that strictly speaking the footnote is incorrect. I think that
it should read 'Henry Robin Ian Russell 14th. Duke of Bedford.' At
the time that the quarter was rung, the successor to the title, the
Marquis of Tavistock had become the 15th Duke of Bedford, and is THE
Duke of Bedford. On the death of the monarch I have heard the
proclamation 'The King is Dead. Long live the King.' I assume that
the second proclamation refers to the successor whilst the first
refers to the deceased King. When George V1 died, was the
proclamation 'The King is Dead. Long live the Queen.'