[Bell Historians] Bedale

Mike Chester mike at m...
Mon Jun 2 08:22:45 BST 2003

Can anyone confirm that Bedale was the lucky recipient of the first
ever Outhwaites bellrope?

I rang there in the mid-80s, (on the day Sunderland AFC had to win at
Liverpool to stay in the First Division - they did, but Liverpool had
already won the championship! ;-) ), the tenor had a newish rope with
a tail end turned back only a few inches as there was not enough rope
beneath the sally. I'm fairly sure that I was told it was the first,
or at least one of the first, bellropes to come out of Hawes.

Mike