[Bell Historians] Suicidal suffragettes

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Jun 25 08:18:20 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

So it does! Have the book, but never thought of looking there. Thanks, Jim

----- Original Message -----=20
From: jim phillips=20
To: bell historians=20
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 9:28 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Suicidal suffragettes

http://www.ringing.info/aargh.gif

>I saw a print-out of this in the ringing room of a local tower recently,
and wondered where - and when - the photo was >taken. A fairly large bell=
,
with canons and hung with a continuous gudgeon (or hoop gudgeons). Any id=
eas
where this was >taken?

A copy of this photograph appears in the preface to 'A History Of The Lad=
ies
Guild ' by Janet Stevenson (ISBN:0-9536869-0-6. 1999). The caption reads
'Unknown Lady Ringer (?) in the Hagbourne, Berks tenor, 1909 (Warning: Do
not try this in your home tower). The photo was taken from English
Bell-Ringing in The Country Home 1909 p130.

The book is well worth reading and thank Heaven the Ladies voted in 1999 =
for
the continued existence of the Guild (the vote was unanimous).

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20