[Bell Historians] Curfew (was Re: The Tellers)

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Wed Jun 25 11:05:33 BST 2003

> You can add St Peter's, Sandwich to your list. The ring of 8 is unringable
> except for the tenor. This is rung every day as a curfew bell. Each day, a
> different member of the company of "ringers" (actually most of them are
not
> ringers) go up and ring or chime the bell.

DJB:
"How often is it rung full-circle?"

Not sure how many of the Curfew ringers are actual ringers. There used to be
none, but with the installation of a ring of bells in St Clement's,
Sandwich, more and more ringers have leaked into the Curfew Society. I don't
know whether all ringers would have rung the bell up either (it is about 15
cwt), but I guess it gets rung up once a week. Pure guess though.

DrL