[Bell Historians] (unknown)

David Cawley dave at d...
Fri Mar 14 12:46:33 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

How about this one then (re Great George of Bristol) from Warners 25/1/23:

"We are in receipt of your esteemed favour of 23rd Inst with reference to t=
he proposed new Bell for Bristol University, and in reply we wish to state =
that owing to the removal of our Foundry into the Country, we have made arr=
angements with Messrs Gillett & Johnston, Founders to the King, Croydon, Su=
rrey, to carry out our work for us.
"We have no hesitation in saying, that they will give you the very best wo=
rkmanship especially with regard to the important question of tuning.....no=
doubt you will be hearing from them.
"Yours faithfully, JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD"

(G&J were "seen off" by the architects).

Then there is that c14" bell at St Colm, Daviot, Grampian recast in 1924; o=
n the waist is JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD RECAST 1924. Apparently (RWMC) the w=
ork was carried out by Mears & Stainbank. No doubt Warners had written a n=
ice letter about them too.

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20