Cloford & Combpyne

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Tue Mar 18 21:07:38 GMT 2003

I've just been looking through the three bell supplement and found the
following from the "Removed" list:

Cloford, Som - only one remains hung for ringing; others now hung dead
Combe Pyne, Devon - now hung dead

Neither ring were ever hung for ringing.

Ref for Cloford: Bells of the Frome Deanery by George Massey (1985) + our
notes. They are in a three bell sawpit bellframe (all pits N/S) which appears
to be good. The treble and tenor are both by Ll & J 1892 and are hung dead in
the central pit of the frame. The Jefferies & price 2nd is hung in the
Easternmost pit and the Westernmost pit remains empty. All are struck by
Ellacombe hammers.

Ref for Combpyne - our notes prior to rehanging - Only one bell had a wheel
which was mounted upside down. Wheels were never fitted to the others and the
bells hung from the roof timbers, never strong enough to support swinging
bells. The bells form a rather out of tune 2,4 & 6 of a ring of six. They
used to be a clock chime and evidence of the hammers still exist. It is hopes
to fill in the gaps at some point with an ex Trinity House Buoy bell and the
bell from the redundant Church at Rousdon.

Matthew