[Bell Historians] Castlethorpe

David Cawley dave at d...
Wed Mar 26 22:45:20 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Quote from George Elphick's Sussex Bells & Belfries pp 43-5:

'Johanna Hille, Richard's (d 1440) wife, was a most remarkable woman. She =
not only became a bellfounder and carried on her husband's business, but ag=
ain occupied the position during her second widowhood, as well as being mot=
her-in-law to another founder. Two deeds are preserved at Faversham Church=
, Kent, which mention her as Johanna Hille of London, widow in 1441 when sh=
e made them five new bells; and as Johanna Sturdy of London, widow in 1459,=
when she supplied them with a new tenor weighing 35-cwt. The fact that we=
have two widows bearing the same Christian name eighteen years apart, and =
two groups of bells bearing the same lozenge, indicative of womanhood, give=
s strong evidence for assigning these bells to the same person....=20=20

'She used her husband's (i.e. Richard Hille's) cross, letter moulds and her=
own lozenge, which, by its varying grounds, was cast in wax. (He gives se=
ven remaining bells from her first widowhood). Assuming that her bells bea=
r the same relationship in bells per year as her late husband's, she probab=
ly married John Sturdy about 1443.

'Johanna Sturdy (as she now was) must have been very active during her seco=
nd widowhood, for, if we accept the date of 1458 for her husband's (John St=
urdy's) death, it only leaves her a few years to cast her second group of 1=
4 bells that have been traced. We know that she must have been dead by 146=
5, for her son-in-law, Henry Jordan (also a bellfounder) makes mention of h=
er in his will of 1468 as being buried with her first husband. Her bells a=
re exacctly the same as John Sturdy's with the addition of her lozenge'.

You can read 19th-century accounts by Tyssen and Stahlschmidt in CB Sussex,=
Surrey Bells & London Bellfounders and CB Kent. Whatever they say, you ca=
n be pretty certain that George Elphick's summary is accurate.

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20