Lipping/skirting (was Kidderminster trebles)

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Thu May 1 15:34:12 BST 2003

This process was attempted by van Bergen of Heiligerlee when they
mis-cast the next-to-largest bell of the carillon for Concordia
Seminary in St.Louis. I presume that they decided that it was too
expensive to recast such a large bell. Unfortunately, the result of
the operation was merely to "improve" the tone from (I presume)
absolutely appalling to just very very bad. Carillonists who have
played here would probably agree that it is the worst bell in any
20th-c. carillon. (Some 18th & 19th c. instruments are worse,
though.) And the shape of the butchered lip is downright ugly.

The situation was exacerbated some years ago when a renovation that
replaced the keyboard and transmission also replaced the clapper on
this bell with one that was more in scale with the adjacent clappers.
(The original clapper had been only about half the weight of its
neighbors.) That just made the awful sound louder.

It's too bad, because the rest of the bells are actually pretty
decent (4+ octaves in concert pitch), and the tower & location are
simply splendid. Unfortunately, the cost of getting that bell out of
the tower now in order recast it would be enormous. So this carillon
gets much less use than it otherwise might.

--
=Carl Scott Zimmerman= Co-Webmaster: http://www.gcna.org/
Voicemail: +1-314-361-5194 (home) mailto:csz_stl at s...