[Bell Historians] When was silence broken in 1943?

John Camp john at c...
Fri May 2 13:54:25 BST 2003

At 13:23 on 02 May 2003, jwalton22rg wrote:

> Does anyone know the precise date when the wartime ban on ringing was
> formally lifted? I understand it was sometime during the summer of
> 1943, so the 60th anniversary will be imminent...

27 May 1943. There had previously been open ringing on Sunday, 15
November 1942, for the victory at El Alamein. Sunday ringing was
permitted from Easter Sunday 1943. (Source: John Spice's History of
the Oxford University Society).

John Camp