[Bell Historians] Re: Edinburgh

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Tue May 13 12:49:00 BST 2003

jameshedgcock at h... writes:

> William & Thomas Mears 1788

They are actually a complete ring of 8 cast by Lester Pack & Chapman in 1788.
>From what I have been told they are the only complete ring of 8 by these
founders which bear the same inscriptions on each bell.

I managed to get up to see them a while ago - a really wonderful
installation! The bells are in the hexagonal part of the tower just below the
spire. The frame is placed diagonally with bells swinging into (and in one
case, almost out of) the window openings! A massive iron weight had been
bolted to the top of the tenor headstock, probably to reduce tower movement.
None of the wheels were complete but they had an interesting iron peg &
latchet stay/slider design. The ringing room looks as if the ringers had just
walked out!

I have some photo's somewhere - ill look for them.

Matthew