Steel bells

George Dawson George at d...
Mon May 19 13:19:42 BST 2003

> Well done Bill ... was hoping you would. One point that occurs to me is
that
> LARGE steel bells may well sound better as bells than SMALL steel bells
> through the rust to metal ratio. I expect the Clerkenwell Monster doesn't
> sound much if at all different from how it sounded originally.
>
> DrL

I am sure that the problem with NV bells was their thickness profiles.
Whilst the outside looks like a bell, the thickness on most I have seen is
like a handbell i.e the same thickness all the way up, hence the sound.
Whilst in Germany last Autumn I saw & took the tones of the steel 4 at
Mittenwalde cast in 1956. They did not appear to have been tuned:
1. 34.5" 1079, 827, 652, 573 & 277Hz
2. 41" 922, 713, 559, 481 & 239 Hz
3. 47" 840, 609, 509, 433 & 210 Hz
4. 56"dia 683, 525, 414, 356 & 177Hz

Though they are somewhat variable in consistency, they are much better than
NV.
Photos available.
GAD