[Bell Historians] FW: Something that should not have happened?

Aidan C A Hopkins aidan at h...
Thu May 29 15:29:47 BST 2003

On 29 May 2003 at 14:34, JohnBaldwin <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> I sent a copy of the original post to David Brookes (a ringer) who is
> currently Vicar of Leeds in Kent. Attached are his reply and my original to
> him.

<snip>

> > Very interesting - Sid Russell remembered that the Leeds handbells
> > were sent away to be repaired (probably about 1930) and never came
> > back. He said "what happened to them nobody knows".

Presumably they were stolen in transit or at the repairers...?

So it is possible that, assuming they were insured, probably with the
Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc, the Vicar & Churchwardens of the time
(or possibly PCC - I think PCCs began in the 1920s) would have claimed for
the loss.

If there was an insurance claim, then the bells are probably now legally the
property of the insurers.

(By sheer co-incidence, I was just talking to the EIO less than an hour ago,
about something totally unrelated)!

Aidan