[Bell Historians] standards of research

Mark Humphreys mark.humphreys at b...
Wed Nov 5 22:48:18 GMT 2003

I'm sorry, but I think that is incredibly defeatist. Honestly, I do.
For a starter, not everyone who creates webpages, sometimes in a fit of
keenness, then discovers they have the time or energy to update them.
Some (fathers, grandfathers?) may have got other people to have created
the sites but do not have the expertise to maintain them, while their
sons or grandsons now have other things to do, or 'maintainers' might
feel guilty in pressing for more work.

Like young Mr Cawley, some email contacts on websites might still feel
that they are running steam powered machines. It doesn't matter that
those of us in turbo charged ferraris should look down on them.

And that's only one possible reason! Can we please, as a community, be
helpful but not overpowerful?

Mark