'Jimmy' Groves, bellhanger

Dennis Powney dennis.powney at l...
Wed Nov 12 22:16:26 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for thinking of me Chris, and for that information. Yes I knew of G=
roves. Here is a portion from my book 'The Bells & the Ringers of St. Nich=
olas Church, Bromham'. This 56 page book is available from me at 44 High S=
t., Bromham, Wilts., S N 15 2 H A. Price =A35. Sold in aid of the Church=
.

. . . . . . " Mr. James E. Groves of 43 Malvern Road, Handsworth, Birmin=
gham tendered for this work, his tender reads -=20

Dismantle bells of their Ringing fittings, & remove Headstocks for refittin=
g. Provide & securely bolt two cast iron stretchers. Provide to all 6 Heads=
tocks new steel gudgeons, turned true. Provide & fix to the 2 largest Bells=
new double pulleys. Fit to the wheels of treble & 4 largest Bells rounded =
blocks similar to those on wheel of 2nd Bell. Re-fit clappers of all six Be=
lls, providing new bolts, nuts & leathers where necessary. Overhaul & readj=
ust all stays & sliders. Paint all the iron & wood ringing fittings, & leav=
e Bells in 1st class Ringing order - Provide 6 new Bells Ropes.=20

The whole for the sum of =A381.11s.6d. Jas. E. Groves."=20

You may remember, Chris, that one of the above 'Cast iron stretchers' was b=
roken when you recently visited Bromham. It has now been repaired.

Dennis Powney.