[Bell Historians] Fog bells

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Nov 13 16:54:45 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for the kind remarks; I think the answer to the last papagraph is 'Y=
es'

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Carl S Zimmerman=20
To: Bell Historians List=20
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:37 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Fog bells

In David Cawley's interesting article on buoy bells (this week's RW,=20
p.1081ff), there is reprinted a 1911 advertisement from J.Warner &=20
Sons for "lighthouse, fog and buoy bells". That terminology seems=20
odd to me, because all of the instances of fog bells which I have=20
found in America have been associated with lighthouses. (Buoy bells=20
are apparently the same the world over.) What is the distinction=20
between lighthouse bells and fog bells in English usage? Or were=20
Warners simply being sure to cover all possible terminology at once?

CSZ

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20