Lea & Utley

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Mon Nov 17 10:20:40 GMT 2003

Andrew Dawson has forwarded me some photographs of his bells and the
following additional comments. I shall forward him the comments already made
about Utley PLC. Thanks.

DrL

See three attached pictures I''ve dredged up from my files. Of the group
of four shown, it is bottom left, and did not catch my eye, but did catch
my ear..

It came from Trinitymarine, a dealer I found on the www based in Teignmouth
I think, who were helpful enough to ring their stock to me over the
telephone. It is a very nice sounding and looking bell, rings on F
(although it is not tuned I'm sure) with a silvery 'pockmarked '
outersurface, as though it has been constantly hit with a hammer. However
the marks are pretty uniform all the way around, and one would have
expected hits to be biased to one area depending on how it was hung. How
can you tell if it's bronze or brass? It looks like neither to me on the
surface - brass is darker.

As you will see from the second attached file, inside it is painted a dark
red, with a white arrow (hence my MOD guess), and then (third file) deeply
engraved Lea & Utley no 144. The clanger appears original as far as I can
tell.

By the way, it's now our doorbell, rigged up with 5m of wire, pulleys and
springs to a bespoke bellpullhandle made by Nigel Tyas of Sheffield who I
also found on the www.

Cheers

Andy

PS Trinitymarine have four old bouy bells for sale on the website which I
found interesting; at 170kg and £800 each though, they are most unsuiltable
for a doorbell.
<<