Clapper springs

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Nov 19 08:05:46 GMT 2003

David Cawley:

> Their most favoured and prolific use was of
> course on steel bells .... They are still
> present in the unrestored rings ... Chalford

Notes from my visit to Chalford in February 2001:
They have a typical steel-bell sound, somewhat improved (I was told
by the tower captain) by having rubber clapper lifters. They were
originally fitted with clapper-lifting springs which, having fallen
into disrepair, were replaced by lifters which had been fitted as an
experiment to a peal of bells in Bristol.

I was told which peal in Bristol but unfortunately did not make a
note.

Bill H