Preston

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Fri Nov 21 10:01:52 GMT 2003

Andrew:

> I didn't think the trebles of ten
> were particularly brilliant!

Mike:

> The new ten are the old 8 from Holy
> Trinity, Bolton, with two Whitechapel
> Trebles.

I rang at Preston in the summer, and from memory (I didn't take
tuning figures) the trebles are old style. Another striking example
of newly-cast old-style trebles I rang on recently is at Bletchingley
in Surrey.

Opinions differ on these; some consider them a very good match
tonally to the old bells, i.e. preserving the historic integrity of
the peal, and some dislike their sound, claiming that true-harmonic
bells would make the overall peal sound better even though a worse
match to the existing bells.

It's very easy of course to put together comparison recordings, using
old-style and new style trebles with the same tenors. All this does
is confirm there are two different views on the matter!

Bill H