Making digital recordings of bells

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Fri Nov 28 09:17:23 GMT 2003

Alan Birney asks about digital recordings of bells:

I wrote a paper on this a year or so ago, at
www.hibberts.co.uk/recording.htm which may give you some ideas. I
know a lot of people use minidisc recorders which I believe give
excellent results, though I have not used one myself. In the past I
have taken a lot of recordings with a very old 8mm video recorder
which are reasonable quality.

When I digitise analogue recordings, I use a bog-standard 16-bit
soundblaster card. I have several in various PCs, including one I
bought second hand for £15, and they all give good results within the
limits of the recording formats available.

However, for the last 18 months I have been using an AKG C1000S
condenser microphone (recommended by Steve Ivin) with a Toshiba 4600
laptop. I spent a long time fiddling with recorder settings,
including discovering that the laptop had to be mains powered or it
was very noisy. The mike cost me £100 (but then 30m of high quality
microphone cable cost me nearly as much). The results are very good
indeed, it was worth the expense and the hard work. However, I also
have a Compaq laptop (an Evo N410C) which produces rubbish
recordings, I haven't been bothered to find out why.

I have been meaning for a while to get myself a minidisc recorder
with an external microphone input and try it with the AKG to find out
what quality I get. However, the Toshiba laptop is very convenient if
a little bulky, I guess I will continue to use it until it falls off
a bellframe one time too many!

Bill H